I’m not going to get preachy, but if I do, forgive me. I will attempt to speak plainly. My opinions are my own, and I hope they have some validity to the experience of others. If I reach can reach a common ground with others, I’ll take it as a blessing, but not a requirement. It is a goal that I know I may never attain, but if I remain honest and true with my words how my experiences have created them, I feel I’m at least half way there. I don’t see disagreement as a failure, but as a necessary step in a path that can end with understanding. There are few universal truths, and every man and woman sees the world through their own unique view. If one can stay honest with this personal truth, then there is already validity in that person’s worldview.
There are two traps that are ever present with this theory. The first is when we are not being honest with ourselves, and we blindly express opinions that were simply given to us, without using the tool of intuition. Intuition is something that is so carnal and pure, that when we really give it an uncensored voice, it becomes so powerful that it can easily defeat our own learned logic. It is an innate gift that enables us to survive. Without intuition, man could never have advanced to the achievements we have reached as a society today. In terms of debate, it is nearly impossible to argue with another being’s intuition. It is something that when used, will supersede all of our conscious thoughts- when we are pushed against the wall, it will immediately step in to address the situation, often without us consciously making the decision to use it. It is my belief that if one can aim to consciously use this weapon, in banal everyday decisions, rather than to only use it in times of distress, like a muscle, it can become stronger, and lead you onto a smoother path or achieving what you want out of life. But I digress.
In terms of debate and creating a better understanding of each other, if we understand that no one man’s intuition is the same as another’s, we can see how two opposing positions both can be correct. It is because we all live such different realities that this is not only possible, but sometimes necessary. So where does understanding come into the picture? I believe that while it may not be a fail-safe option, the next necessary step to be explored is compromise. When we do not challenge our beliefs against the ideas of others, we lose the opportunity to strengthen them ideas and allow them to evolve. Sometimes one woman’s truth can be unpopular- but for that one person’s reality, it is correct for her, and incorrect for others. It is at this point where disagreement no longer remains a negative thing, but is the truthful end result of the situation. If each view point is expressed with thought, reflection, and objectivity, and still no bridge can be built, then the river that flows between each opinion is the truth, and it should not be crossed.
So what is the point of this article, you may ask. I’ll answer that question with another famous quote/question: “What is man, that thou art mindful of him?” The opinions I’ve expressed are merely parts of a hypothesis, ideas that are nearly impossible to be proved universally correct, for they are individual, born from my own personal experiences. We may never be able to definitively prove how or why we as human beings are significant, or if our thoughts and ideas are worthy of exploration, but it is not an excuse to refuse the challenge of understanding ourselves and others, even if disagreement is the final answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment