Monday, January 3, 2011

Exiting the Facebook Conversation Part 2

Well that took forever... I can't express how hard it is to get off of that damn site. Especially for some one who's job it is to sell himself. However, some thing had to give. I've been off of it for what seems like months now, but in actuality it's probably only been about a week or two, tops. I think there's something very addictive about posting a question or photos and seeing how your friends and colleagues respond to them.

But I gotta tell you...

I'm starting to think it fosters insecurities. I know for a fact it's making us less human- well, that and texting, of course. It's almost like half of the stuff I would post simply to see what kind of reaction I would get. Right or wrong, that's what ended up happening. I think the difference with this website is that I know very few people read it, so it has less of a soapbox quality to it. I can say more of what I really feel, to a certain extent, as long as it's not self-incriminating... but I digress. In any case, I'm hoping that without the intrinsic pressure that comes along with TheBook, I can produce some work that's actually worth experiencing. Maybe it will be a bit more pure, and a little less forced. I have noticed that I have been having more creative ideas since I stopped making status updates. Namely, not all the thoughts that come into my head are only in blurb form. They're also a little more complex. We'll see where that goes.

I suppose the most exciting thing about deactivating FB is that I did it for a good reason- to refocus on my career, and to create incentives for achieving results. For example, I can't reactivate until I have a theatrical agent. It's no easy feat. I'm not here to complain about it- but I must say it demands a lot of attention, dedication, time, and tenacity. Sometimes I feel like I'm selling auto insurance or something, or maybe that's just how the situation feels. You're selling something to a consumer that they don't think they need, until they do.

So there it is... actor/auto insurance salesman. There's your analogy for the day.

This is a hard business. I suggest that you don't go into it- at least that's what I'll my kids if I ever have 'em.

But hey, at least the sun is finally coming out again...

Rest in Peace, Pete Postlethwaite.

Next up:

The Perry Jackson 2011 Mission Statement.


Much Love,

PW

No comments:

Post a Comment