Thursday, July 21, 2011

Prelude to the State of the Industry

I have some words that I'd like to prepare for the artists of the world... Most specifically those in film and television in Los Angeles, but it is my hope that my assessment can be applicable to artists everywhere, in music, or the fine arts, or whatever. I live in LA and work in the tv/film industry, and I try not to speak on things that I don't know much about, so it is to this audience whom I will mainly speak.

It doesn't matter how many followers or fans you have. I'm not talking sh*t, but if you use that as your barometer, then Kim Kardashian is the best and brightest that Hollywood has to offer. I will say this once, and I will have to say it again.

THIS IS NOT A MERITOCRACY.

For those of you who are bright eyed and bushytailed, just having gotten off a bus at Union Station, or just landed in LAX, I welcome you. You got here, and I commend that. But staying here, and also accomplishing what you set out to do before you got here, will be very hard work. I won't lie to you and say that it won't be. Most people end up staying here and giving up, knowing that if they can't attain their dreams, at the very least, they can at least enjoy some of the best weather there is on earth, and eke out an existence teaching yoga, being a personal trainer, or going into real estate. Or, other people choose to leave, discovering that their hopes can only really be accomplished elsewhere, or not at all. Though I'm not famous or successful by any means, I do have eyes and ears that I keep very close to the ground. I've accomplished a few small (but difficult) things in my life, but gaining a foothold in Hollywood tops them all. It will be the hardest thing you ever try to do. Period. If I have already alienated you, please allow this prelude to be your wake up call that takes you back to the drawing board, to hopefully accomplish something that is more important and fulfilling than making movies.

If I haven't alienated you, however, and you'd still like to continue, follow me down the road of crippled dreams. The state of the industry is bleak, and I hope you brought a flashlight in your suitcase. You're gonna need it.




Next Post:

The State of the Industry, Summer, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment