Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day Six or, Beef, it’s what’s for dinner…

So it’s day six of my new regimen, and I have cheated on every single day of it. Yes, every, single, day. It’s kinda sad. I really didn’t know how weak-willed I was until now. I’ve always thought of myself as a very strong person, but when it comes to the recent limits and boundaries that I’ve set for myself, I have failed miserably. I’m working on not being too hard on myself, but I do have to call myself out on a few things.
On the first day, I had just a taste of some prime rib. It normally would be fine if I was just trying to maintain my weight, but it’s not super helpful when you’re trying to get rid of stomach fat- especially the prime rib cut, which is one of the fattiest of all red meats. It seems like this might not have been such a huge deal, but the thing that happens when you cheat, is that it can turn from one snowball rolling down a hill, into a full-blown avalanche… which is what occurred on day five.



Every day prior to day five was relatively harmless- a piece of bread here, a little bit of pork there. But last night was a huge relapse. I was happy to not have to work the night time shift, so I went home early celebrated with some Mad Men on netflix, a nice bottle of cab, and a porterhouse steak (which I am not supposed to have anyway). The only thing is, I wasn’t super satisfied with the Porterhouse, so I also cooked a cut of top sirloin, and commenced to eat the ENTIRE thing. It was gluttonous. I admit it. It was also very tasty. But what I realized is that if I had just said no to the prime rib on the first day, I probably would not have gotten to the low that I reached on day five.
So what’s the lesson learned? It feels like if I am going to be able to accomplish anything, there will have to be a zero tolerance policy; because what starts a bite sized portion of meat, may turn into 2 pounds of meat by the end of the week (at least in my case). But the good news is that it seems we’ve found our culprit- I am clearly addicted to red meat. It’s all good though, I’m not going to be too hard on myself about it. Today is a new day, and I’m off to a pretty decent start. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment